He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist. ~St. Francis of Assisi

May we each strive to do ALL that we do as an artist working as unto the Lord for His glory! Thanks for stopping in to visit! ~Cara Louise

Thursday, October 4, 2012

The versatile I-Cord- new name, old stitch

The I-Cord or I-Tube is a very popular component of many recent patterns, and for good reason.It is elegant yet sturdy, fashionable yet functional. The I-cord makes great purse straps for one example.

Many don't realize though that the I-cord is actually a generations old stitch! Remember those old-fashioned spool knitters? The work produced from spool knitting is the exact same stitch as the I-cord! And while my hands used to be able to pinch tiny loops and crochet such I-cords, lately I have had to revert back to the tried-and-true method using my own home-made spool. One end of this I-cord was made with the crochet hook, the other with the spool knitter- and even I can't tell the ends apart!

The craft stores sell new-fangled plastic versions of the spool-knitter these days- like this one from Clover-

Here's a great page I found with a lot of information- history, pictures, instructions, etc: http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.com/spoolknitting.htm

So don't shy away from patterns calling for this great design feature- there's a 'new' method to the rescue!

Please visit the NEW HOME of my blog and website! 

No comments: